Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Singapore

Tuesday 18/11


Because it was 18th of November I put Latvia's flag ribbon around my arm, that's the least I could do.
Today was going to be the day when we explore Singapore. As we were far from the centre we had to take the public transport to get there. Sharon, our host, was super helpful and gave Pedro and me two spare transportation cards. We just needed to top them up when possible.
We left the place with Jose and David, and we spent the entire day with the two of them. I had met Jose when he was in Riga, and I knew for a fact that he loves to walk about a lot! So I mentally tried to  prepare myself for some walking. We took the bus to the metro, and then the metro to the other metro line, and then finally we got to Little India. Singapore is said to have one of the best public transportation, maybe that is so (but as they don't allow bicycles on board, I hesitate to agree). We walked and walked, took some pictures (while Jose took a lot of pictures). We got to see a lot as we walked pretty much the entire day. The highlight, of course, was Marina Bay Sands. I recall that I wanted to sit a lot as my legs were not used to so much walking. The city is, in fact, very lovely and organized. And compared to Phnom Penh where we had just spent the entire weekend, the city seemed to be like from another time. Also, the cost of everything was much higher, which for us took some time to get used to. As I'm looking at the differences, I'd like to note that most of the population here know English. And the streets are much cleaner than in Phnom Penh where one would actually need boots to pass through some of the trashed streets of the city.
In the evening we met up with our host and another guy, we were all chilling on a bridge in city centre. Apparently that's what youngsters do, because going out to bars and restaurants is much too expensive. So they buy some snacks and drinks in the store and enjoy the nice weather while sitting outside. Later on more and more couchsurfers showed up, I lost track of how many they were, but we were a big company. We left quite early (around 22:00), Sharon had to work the following morning. Portuguese brothers were going to spend the day still in Singapore and later take a night bus to Kuala Lumpur. And as for us, after some doubting whether to stay another day or not, we decided to head for Malaysia the next day. As we were entering the metro station, I realized that I had lost the metro ticket/card. This was silly of me, as the card was not mine, it had about 8 Singapore dollars since we topped them up, and now I needed to buy a new ticket to get back to Sharon's place. 
We finally got back, it was late, and soon we all headed to sleep. 

No comments:

Post a Comment